Friday 15 October 2010

Kitchen shelf, how did I manage without you?


The new appartement-setting up is on the home-stretch, soon I'll feel ready to give you a tour =) Mainly thanks to my wonderful friends who helped me mount the string-shelfs on the wall, and to secure my dvd-cabinet so it doesn't topple. Thank you, thank you, thank you Kalle and Elin!
This kitchen shelf was a walk in the park by comparising, but the important part is that I did it myself =)

This sort of shelf was very common here in Sweden for the first part of the 20th c, "paradhylla" (direct translation "parade shelf"). For my international readers: have you ever seen one of these, or perhaps even know what they're called in English?
Whatever it's called, it's really practical! Small and slim, but creates a place both for my kitchen towels, my most used apron and my favorite teas.


One can of course have the shelf as it is, but I prefer it with this curtain-like thing so aptly named "parade towel" =) This is where the sewing came in (if drilling doesn't count as crafty...), I made a small canal at the back. Not much, but I did use a sewing machine, so it counts as crafty! ;)

The story behind the shelf and its towel is rather cute. I had talked about getting one for a few months, then this summer me and my grandmother were at separate vacations, both of us of course visiting local fleamarkets. By pure chance we went to Stockholm on the same train, and she pulls up a fabric from her suitcase and says
"Look what I found at a fleamarket! A parade towel for you!".
At first I was so surprised I just stared at her.
"Guess what I found at a fleamarket in Skåne?" I finally managed.
"A parade towel?" she asked a bit nervous.
"Nope, a parade shelf!"
Perfect combination =) Thank you, nanna!

Close up on the embroidery:

Leaving the world of wonderful kitchen shelfs, have you read Tilly's excellent posts on the problems with being a concious consumer of fabrics? I have for quite a while despaired at the seemingly impossibility to find organic and fairtrade fabric. Such clothes exists, such yarn exists, but fabric seems to be hard to find. I know I'm not perfect in always buying organic and fairtrade, but I do try whenever there's an option, and I would love to find that option for fabrics. Check this out for thoughts on ethical fabric, this for a Brittish on-line store that carries organic fairtrade cottons and this for the generous giveaway Tilly's hosting. (There's no "mention this in your blog, and get more chances", I just genuinly think this is an important topic).

Have a great weekend!
Love, Erika

P.S. And yes, that is snow on the ground you can spot in the second photo. It's very thin, it doesn't cover all ground, but it is there. Winter is at least three weeks ahed of scheduale, in my own humble opinion... It's fortunate that I love winter clothes! =)

3 comments:

Kitten loves vintage said...

Praktisk hylla, och vilket kul sammanträffande med din mormor :)

Angående tyg så köper jag för det mesta från loppis=miljövänligt på sitt sätt, men skulle gärna också se organiskt osv i tygaffären. Hur är det förresten med inhemska tyger(linne?), typ de som säljs på medeltidsveckan o dyl? Är de alls inhemska förresten?*ovetande*

Hur som helst, hoppas du får en trevlig helg, kram!

Camilla Kästner said...

Jösses snö!

Hyllan är ursnygg.

Själv har jag spanat in en nytillverkad kökshylla i vitt med plastlådor i gammal socker, mjöl mm stil i butiken i vårt hus. Har pekat ut den genom fönstret till Calle och sagt att jag vill ha den i vår nya lägenhet (när det blir av)

Erika said...

Kitten: visst var det? =)
Jag tror nog att de flesta tygerna som säljs på marknader eller via företag som riktar sig till historisk sömnad är importerade, tyvärr. Vad jag verkligen skulle vilja se är en tydligare märkning där det står varifrån tygerna kommer etc. I dagsläget verkar det som att man har tur om det ens står vad tyget är vävt av, och vad t ex bomullen är uppblandad med.

*kram!*

Camilla: Jajamänsan, vi hade snö hela helgen, men nu har den smält. Tackar så mycket, hittade den faktiskt på den där galna loppisen ute på landet där försäljningen började ett visst klockslag etc.
Jag älskar att shoppa inredning till lägenheter jag inte har, det är faktiskt enklare och roligare än att köpa till en man har. Trots allt så behöver man till en tänkt lägenhet inte fundera över om det finns nåt bra ställe för saken, eller om man har råd etc. Fast det är klart, känslan när något är på plats är svårslagen... Men hoppas ni snart får en egen lägenhet!

*kram*