Wednesday 17 August 2011

Stockholm, a haircut and The Armory

This is part four of My Summer. Want to read it chronological? Then check out part 1, part 2 and part 3 =)

Whenever I'm in southern Sweden it's a must to stop by Stockholm to visit friends and family. They sort of expect it, and I always look forward to it. Unfortunatley that makes most of my Stockholm-visits short and hurried, with everything planned by the hour. So this year I decided to take my time, and after Herräng I spent 1,5 week in my old hometown. It was great to not just see everyone, but to have the luxury to see them one-on-one. There was lots of tea, cakes, ice-cream and good food...



Lunch with my aunt at Café Sture




Dessert at my grandmother's. She bakes the prettiest cakes! And so tasty...



I love her appartement, it's not huge but it's filled with countless old treasures. Everywhere you look there's something to admire!





After-lunch ice-cream with the siblings (aka Joakim and Kajsa). We went out for lunch, just the three of us. It's quite rare that we meet just us "children", which is a shame since we always have so much fun together. This time it was gran's idea, and she actually treated us to the lunch. Wasn't that sweet and thoughtful?




Fika with grandmother, 'cause of course we got some quality time just the two of us! We went to a nice café by Hötorget. The lemon pie was to die for...



These last two photos was taken the day I and my grandmother hit the second hand-market at Hötorget and I found this pretty set:



I got the hotplate (not sure that's the correct word, but it looks like a tray and it keeps the food warm during dinner) and one of the serving dishes (the one on the left), gran effortlessly haggled the pair down to half the price =) And the hotplate works!

After the market we met up with Kajsa and saw the exhibition "Royal vintage" at Livrustkammaren (the armory, a museum in Stockholm castle). They showed pieces from the royal wardrobes, 1900- today, only Swedish designers. The bulk of it was from 40s-60s, so right up my alley! I highly recommend this exhibition for anyone going to Stockholm. I'm not sure one is allowed to take pictures there, but this dress was just too beautiful to resist:



And of course I did not use a flash. I so want to make something based on this dress! But it will have to rest for a while, I do not need any more projects...

As you might have noticed, something happened with my hair during this week... I've had a haircut! My wonderful hairdresser Sarah from Retroella moved to Stockholm 6 months ago, and I had a chance to visit her in her new salon. It was so beautiful! And she cut my hair short. I finally took the leap, figuring I'm not doing anything truly important this fall and it will grow out till Christmas anyway. Cutting it short has been on my mind ever since this post, and now I've done it! Feels great! When something is on your mind for over a year, it's time to just do it =)
Here it's been set in pincurls. I like it, but a surprise was that short hair is so much warmer than long! Who could have guessed? Long hair is so easy to get out of the way, a fast braid or a messy bun and heat is not an issue. However, jackets are easier this way. And hoods! It's fun to experiment with a new hairstyle =)

That rounds up my travels for this summer!

Love
/Erika

5 comments:

Tasha said...

Looks like fun!

Your hair looks great! The cut suits you well. I've been going back and forth about a big chop like that too since early this year. I did cut a couple of inches, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. This weekend I have an appointment and I think I'm going to finally do it! :)

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

It looks like you had an amazing trip-- those cakes look delicious and you're so lucky that your grandmother enjoys going to flea markets with you! Your hair is also gorgeous, I wish I could wear my hair at that length.

Isis said...

Your hair looks great! Retroella have given me the best haircut I have ever had. :)

Erika said...

Tasha; Thank you! Go for it, I say. I know when I last cut 4 inches it was a bit disappointing. It looked great and suited me fine, but I was ready for a bigger change. Glad I took the chance this time! =)

Lailani; Thank you, it was really wonderful. We always have so much fun thrifting together, me and gran. We like the same things and have similar taste. Although, quite often when I'm admiring something she says "Oh, I have one just like it at home. Do you want it?" =) So I tend to shop a great deal less when I'm with her... It's a good thing for both of us; I save the cash and she gets freed starage space.

Isis; Thanks! Sara is such a gifted hairdresser, I'm so happy I've found her. Although, I would have been happier if she hadn't moved to Stockholm... ; ) Honestly, it's not really aproblem. She takes the time to see her old clients when she's in town, and her salon is so great I totally understand the move.

Aliya said...

What pretty pictures! And that yellow dress is to die for!!

My giveaway is up and running:
Win the Vintage Dress of Your Choice! (open to everyone)
http://papermoonsandmacarons.blogspot.com/2011/09/giveaway-in-springtime.html

x Aliya